The Resident Services Department is important at the Wheeling Housing Authority.  The department offers many activities and community services for the people who live in our communities.  We contract with local social service providers and community agencies to provide recreational and educational programs for our youth and their families.  We also provide recreational activities and health care services links for the elderly. 

Family Self-Sufficiency Program
The Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program is a voluntary program that helps families improve their economic situation, so they don't have to depend on public assistance.  Each FSS participant creates a five-year plan that includes employment goals and identifies training and educational needs.  A case manager works with the family to identify and secure the services they need to accomplish these goals. 

For more information, please call the Resident Services Department at 304-242-9412, ext. 1104 

"Through the FSS Program I received my GED and got my first job.  It didn't pay much, but it felt good to get a paycheck.  It wasn't long before I went to my case manager and asked how I could get a better paying job.  He helped me with my resume and in a few weeks my paycheck doubled.  I developed confidence and applied for financial aid and went to school for a few semesters.  I didn't even finish my degree when my boss offered me a full-time job with benefits!  I never saw myself as an independent working mother.  Sometimes I still can't believe it.  It was hard juggling work and school and kids, but I did it!"
                                                                                   -FSS participant

Youth Programs
Educational and recreational activities are available to Wheeling Housing Authority children on-site in partnership with area agencies and organizations.

Senior Programs
Recreational activities and health care services links are available at our high rises.

A coordinator works at our high rises to help residents get needed social services to maintain their independent living status. The coordinator also works with elected resident councils to plan activities and trips. The goal is to improve the quality of life in our high rises and to link residents with existing services in the community.

For more information, please call the Ross Office at 304-639-3146  


About Us | Public Housing | Section 8 | WNV | Links | Contact Us